Men’s golf score best finish for spring

Alonzo Small
Sports Editor

Junior Adam Ball recorded seven birdies in this tournament. Photo courtesy of vcu athletics

Junior Adam Ball and the men’s golf team recorded their second best showing of the season, finishing fourth overall in Mission Inn Tournament on March 14-15.

Played in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida, the men’s golf team finished top-5 in a field of 18, placing fourth overall.  VCU finished fourth with a team score of +25, one stroke behind No. 44-ranked North Carolina State University who finished +24 for third. East Carolina University placed second (+19). No. 34-ranked Virginia Tech won the tournament with a 3-under performance.

Ball finished with rounds of 75, 71 and 69 to tie for fourth with a total score of 215. Ball also recorded seven birdies in the tournament, four of which came on the last day of play. He also led the team with 41 pars on the 54-hole course.

As a team, VCU was 7-under on pars 5’s in three rounds, second best in the field. The greens have been kind to Ball lately. Ball top-5 finish is his second in three tournaments this spring.

Late year at the same event, Ball led VCU to a third place finish in a field of 17. Individually, Ball finished tied for second place.

Junior Steffen Harm finished tied for 18th place overall with a total score of 223 (76, 75, 72). Both Harm and Ball had their best round on the final day of play scoring 72 and 69, respectively.

Freshman Osama Khan (76, 73, 77) finished 25th overall and sophomore Hanish Nagrani (75, 76, 76) finished two spots after for 27th. Jaime Clare (89, 75, 73) tallied a final score of 237 to tie for 61st overall.

Sophomore Enej Sarkani placed 49th for VCU, but played the tournament as an individual, meaning his scores were not tallied with the team.

Up next for the golf team is a trip to Wilmington, North Carolina for the Seahawk Intercollegiate at the County Club of Landfall March 29-30.