Guest dislocates ankle during practice

Power forward Jared Guest dislocated his ankle during a regular practice yesterday morning.

Liz Butterfield
Online News Editor

VCU power forward Jared Guest dislocated his ankle during practice Tuesday morning. The 6-foot-8 junior injured his ankle during a small group practice session and will be out for the next six to eight weeks.

“At this time of year, each player can have two hours each week of on-court instruction from the coaches in groups of no more than four players,” said VCU athletics spokesperson Scott Day in an email. “He was in one of those groups yesterday morning when it happened.”

Guest signed with VCU in 2011. He played in 35 games for the Rams last season and averaged just over 10 minutes per contest. Following DJ Haley’s departure from the program last March, Guest is expected to step up as a junior to help the Rams in a stacked frontcourt.

The South Carolina native joined the Rams the same year as Teddy Okereafor, Briante Weber and Treveon Graham. Okereafor transferred to Rider at the end of April last season, along with Justin Tuoyo, who left the Rams to join Chattanooga. Florida State transfer Terrance Shannon joined VCU as a senior earlier this year.

The Rams’s kick off the 2013-14 season on Friday, Nov. 8 against Illinois State.