Joe Morrissey announces mayoral run

Online News Editor
Andrew Crider

Controversial former Del. “Fightin” Joe Morrissey became the sixth person to officially announce his candidacy for Richmond Mayor at Satellite Restaurant and Lounge on March 31.

Morrissey said in a press conference he wanted to bring knowledge and experience to Richmond, stating he believes the city has not been well managed under current Mayor Dwight C. Jones’ administration.

Morrissey is no stranger to Richmond politics, and his campaign has been stained with high profile stunts — more so than any other candidate for mayor.

In 2014, Morrissey was indicted on felony charges for indecent liberties with a minor, possession and distribution of child pornography, and was reelected to the Virginia General assembly from jail.

His term was served in and out of jail after the 58-year-old delegate was convicted of sleeping with his 17-year-old secretary, who he impregnated.

The underage secretary would give birth to what is now Morrissey’s fourth child by four separate women. The scandal, which began in 2013, made national headlines in 2014 with swearing in an on-air press conference.

In 2015 Morrissey filed an Alford Plea, a guilty plea in criminal court where a defendant in a criminal case does not admit to the criminal act and asserts innocence to avoid being convicted as a sex offender. For the next six months Morrissy worked at the General Assembly by day and reported to jail by night.

Legislatively, Morrissey made headlines in 2013 when he brought an AK-47 assault rifle to the floor of the general assembly to advocate gun control.

Morrissey’s mayoral announcement occurred hours after a gunman at a Greyhound Bus station killed a State Trooper while leaving two civilians injured before being killed by police last Thursday.

Morrissey had originally canceled his event before eventually announcing his candidacy 30 minutes ahead of schedule by offering condolences for the victims of the shooting.

During his announcement last Thursday, Morrissey criticized the Jones administration for its late Annual Financial Report, promising to hire employees who would act efficiently.
According to staff at his private law office, Morrissey has yet to hire any major campaign staff.

In addition to Morrissey, community activist and businessman Rick Tatnall, community strategist and teacher Lillie Estes, City Council president Michelle Mosby, public school teacher Chad Ingold, former councilman Bruce Tyler and Venture Richmond President Jack Berry have also announced their candidacies or are expected to announce soon.

Staff Writer, Andrew Crider

Andrew Crider, photo by Brooke MarshAndrew is a junior economics major who has written for student newspapers since he was in high school. Andrew is interested in political history, aviation, photography and running. He has a tendency to refer to his peers, coworkers and bosses as “ma’am” or “sir,” but is getting better about referring to his friends at the CT by their first names instead. // Facebook

crideraa@commonwealthtimes.org