Cabell Library implements new smoking policy

VCU Senior Laura Veit (left) said she didn’t know of the new library smoking policy. The library has signs that state the new policy printed on the entrance doors. Photo by Amber-Lynn Taber.

Michael Pasco

A recent increase in complaints from students and visitors at James Branch Cabell Library has prompted the building to implement a new smoking policy that says smoking is prohibited 50 feet in front of the building’s main entrances.

Jeanne Hammer, associate librarian for administration and policy development at Cabell Library, said staff became particularly aware of complaints from disabled visitors, staff and students.

“These users had to navigate through groups of smokers, often causing those users respiratory distress,” Hammer said in an email. “Some disabled users are particular vulnerable to smoke, and some have compromised respiratory function related to their disability.”

There is a “no smoking” sign near the external book return, but Hammer said this sign was not enough.

“Smokers tended to ignore or not see the no smoking’ sign there, and the sign was ambiguous about exactly how far away smokers should stay from the book return,” Hammer said.

As a result, smoke was still filtering through the book return, and the circulation desk staff had to deal with the smell of cigarette smoke throughout their work hours.

The library staff consulted VCU Facilities, VCU Human Resources and the Offices of Provost about what they should do. There was also discussion with the Cabell Library Student Advisory Committee, VCU Library Advisory Committee, The Humanities and Sciences Library Committee and the VCUarts Library committee.

Hammer said all groups unanimously advocated for a change of policy that placed a ban on smoking within 50 feet of the entrances to Cabell library.

In order to cater to smokers, VCU installed benches on the walkway towards the Student Commons.

Some students, like Kathryn Sutton think while this new policy helps the library, it could pose problems for other university buildings in the future.

“I think 50 feet would be counterproductive,” Sutton said. “That actually seems like it would be right in front of Shafer, or the Student Commons or Hibbs.”

Hammer said currently there are no other considerations to change other building policies at the Cabell Library.