Men’s tennis sweeps opening weekend

Photo by Myles Francisco

Men’s tennis scored three straight wins in their first trio of matches over the weekend, sweeping the VCU 4-1 Invitational to start the season with a 3-0 record. The Black and Gold downed Georgetown University on Friday before beating Drexel University and Campbell University on Saturday.

Photo by Myles Francisco

Campbell

The Rams scored an easy 5-0 win over the Campbell Fighting Camels Saturday afternoon, propelling the Black and Gold to a 3-0 record and dropping Campbell to 1-1.

Freshman Inigo Torre Martin swept in singles, while junior Arvid Noren and sophomore Javier Amantegui teamed up to best Campbell in doubles by margins of 6-2, 3-6 and 6-2. Sophomore Ignacio Rivero Crespo and freshman Timo Zgraggen also each earned victories at the No. 3 singles position.

Drexel

The Black and Gold faced the Drexel Dragons earlier on Saturday, winning 4-1 and sending the Dragons below a .500 average on the season.

Straight-set victories in all four singles matches went to the Rams, as Torre Martin edged out wins in straight sets. Noren and Amantegui also added singles match wins of their own.

Georgetown

VCU swept the Georgetown Hoyas Friday, winning by a score of 5-0. Opening the spring on the right note, the Black and Gold overwhelmed the Hoyas by all but shutting them out in every set played.

Zgraggen excelled in a stellar debut, pairing with junior Philip Mobius to win by margins of 6-0 and 6-4, securing the doubles point in the process. Noren dominated in his singles appearance, winning 6-1 and 6-4.

Photo by Myles Francisco

Amantegui fell 4-3 in the first set, but battled back to win nine of the last 11 games against Georgetown, winning 6-4, 6-2 in No. 1 singles and clinching the match for the Rams. The sophomore also leads the Black and Gold with seven wins on the season. Junior Vitor Lima and Torre Martin lost the opening sets of their matches, but each rallied and secured three-set victories to sweep the day for the Rams.

Men’s tennis returns to action Friday, Jan. 26 at home against the Flyers of Dayton University at 2 p.m.

Adam Cheek, Contributing writer