Ram in action: Khris Lane’s journey home to Richmond

VCU forward Khris Lane is not only a senior ready to represent the Rams on the court this season, but he’s also hoping to serve as a mentor to up-and-coming players as well fill the sizeable shoes of some former ones.

Journeying from Drexel University in Philadelphia to the Farmville courts of Longwood and finally to the cityscape of Richmond, Lane said he finally feels at home as part of the VCU family.

The 6-foot-7-inch senior’s choices were narrowed down to two schools — VCU and the University of Pittsburgh — before he made a final decision.

“The ultimate deciding factor was the chances of being a part of the NCAA tournament,” Lane said. “VCU’s basketball program offered me the best likelihood of being able to do so.”

Previously a football player, Lane said that he always seemed to be bigger, faster and stronger than everyone. Lane’s basketball background began at just ten years old. Playing organized basketball at ten and then traveling just two years later, Lane consistently improved in his second sport until realizing it may be his future.

photo by Ali Jones

Lane also played basketball with recent VCU graduate Torey Burston at Trinity Episcopal High School.

“When I got here during the summer, I got [Torey’s] locker,” Lane said.”I took his chair that had his name on it, just because while Torey might not have been the biggest core player, I know what he meant to VCU basketball.”

Lane said having a friend within the VCU community made his his decision and transition much easier.

“He was here when Shaka Smart and Will Wade were both here, and he was a vocal part of those teams,” Lane said. “Torey’s actually one of my closest friends.”

Lane expressed his appreciation for the fans at the Siegel Center as well, comparing the difference between the atmospheres of Longwood and VCU as night and day.

“We have great fans here and I’m at home,” Lane said. “I’ve never had an atmosphere close to this, probably not even combined at my other two schools. I don’t take it for granted, as I’ll only have about 20 opportunities to go out there and play for those fans, and I’m going to cherish it every time.”

Although Lane was injured for most of his time at Drexel, it gave him more time to observe and gather learning experiences. He expressed he didn’t feel he’d be the player he was today if it weren’t for that time, as he picked up a number of good habits, and that became the foundation of his basketball acumen.

Lane’s time at Longwood came to an end after the 2016 season, as he decided to transfer to another school after not experiencing much success with the Lancers, as well as a disillusionment with the culture of the program.  

“VCU had the culture that I wanted, one of hard work and one that’s all about basketball,” Lane said.

Although he was unable to play over the offseason due to an injury and minor surgery on his left knee, Lane looks forward to the team building its chemistry as the season goes on, with new coaches and players gelling together and communicating better.

Lane said new head coach Mike Rhoades looks to play a fast-paced game, going seven or eight deep to ensure a consistent commitment to playing up-tempo.

“Whoever plays the best, he will play the most,” Lane said. “He has a way he wants to play, and he’s intense.”

While Rhoades is intense, Lane notes how caring of a coach Rhoades is. Lane said that he’s a “players’ coach,” and Rhoades will call players and check on how they’re doing away from the court.

Lane said this was a big factor in his decision to be a part of the team.

As a Richmond native arriving at VCU after the departure of staples JeQuan Lewis and Mo Alie-Cox, Lane knows following in their footsteps will be a large undertaking.

“It’s big shoes to fill,” Lane said. “Mo was a part of VCU for the entire time he was here and JeQuan was an all-league player and nearly is an NBA player now. That’s why I’ve worked so hard since the first day I got here, to fill those shoes, and I don’t want anyone to say that I didn’t work hard for my city.”

Lane said he will be a mentor to other, younger players, mimicking six seniors who took him under their wing at Drexel, checking on him and being there if he needed anything.

“I want to embody those six guys from Drexel and be the best senior I can,” Lane said. “So, when the freshmen now are seniors, I want them to say that they want to copy how Khris was with me. I’m going to be hard on them, but I’m also going to make sure they know that I’m here for them if they need anything, and to have their back.”

Lane emphasized playing at the highest level he can is his primary aspiration, whether professional or overseas. However, for this season, Lane wants to do all he can to be a part of and contribute to the rowdy atmosphere of VCU, and to become a mentor and role model for younger players on the roster.

Khris Lane Profile

Adam Cheek