Women’s soccer sinks Spiders, Bonnies

Women’s soccer (8-4-3, 4-2-2) completed a perfect week with a pair of conference victories. The Rams headed to face cross-town rival  the University of Richmond (2-11-1, 2-4-1) on Thursday, Oct. 12 and hosted Saint Bonaventure University (1-13-3, 1-5-2) on Sunday, Oct. 15.

St. Bonaventure

The Rams fought hard to beat out the St. Bonaventure Bonnies with 20 shots in a full 90 minutes, winning 4-1.

VCU started quickly with a goal by senior defender Megan Dell in the first two minutes. Dell knocked it in off of a penalty kick for her second goal of the season.

The Rams did not give the Bonnies a second to breathe, scoring only 50 seconds later. Freshman midfielder Lyndsey Gutzmer fired in her second shot of the season off of an assist by Swedish senior defender Amanda Hallesjo.

The Rams kept pressing in the first half with a total of twelve shots, but were not able to sink any. VCU’s high paced offense did not let the Bonnies get close enough to get a shot off in the first half.

After the first 45, St. Bonaventure started giving the Rams a little challenge — the Bonnies started the second half with a shot sent wide and another at the 59’ that redshirt junior keeper Audrey Sanderson had to step in for.

Samantha Jerabek, freshman midfielder from Chesterfield, Va., got her first goal of the season in the 60th minute from 30 yards out into the upper right corner.

VCU got its fourth goal when junior midfielder Maddi Santo played the ball low behind the Davidson back line, passing it to junior forward Julia Suarez for her to finish it. Credit for the assist goes to Santo and junior defender Stephanie Stahl.

Richmond

The Rams traveled seven miles over to the University of Richmond on Tuesday where they beat their rival and A-10 opponent, 1-0. The Richmond Spiders put up a good fight with four shots on goal to VCU’s six.

Redshirt junior keeper and Tennessee native Audrey Sanderson made VCU proud with her fifth shutout on the season, saving all four shots on goal from the Spiders. The four saves by Sanderson put her past the 50 mark on the season.

With the first half came a strong attack from the Rams. The Black and Gold outshot the Spiders 5-1 before knocking in their first goal on the sixth shot. Junior forward Julia Suarez played the ball to freshman midfielder Kimberly Ito, who slammed it into the lower left corner.

This was Ito’s second goal of the season and Suarez’s third assist, tying her with redshirt sophomore Amanda Tredway for the most points on the season at nine.

VCU hosts Rhode Island University (3-12, 0-1) on Thursday, Oct. 19 at Sports Backer’s Stadium before heading to conference-leading La Salle University (13-3-1, 8-0) on Sunday, Oct. 22 for the Rams’ final regular season game.

Daniel Puryear