Minorities at VCU among best in the country at getting degrees, analysis says

The new minor, which is multidisciplinary, will require students to take courses from various departments. CT File Photo

VCU was recognized as one of the nation’s top producers of degrees for minorities.

Using the U.S. Department of Education’s study, ‘Diverse: Issues in Higher Education’ said VCU ranks 53 out of 100 for total minority bachelor’s degrees and 49 for total minority professional and doctoral degrees.

The analysis ranks the total number of degrees claimed by African American, Latino, Asian-American, and Native American students at every institution of higher education in the United States.

VCU was ranked in the top 10 for bachelor degrees by African American students in psychology, marketing, gender and group studies, visual and performing arts, physical sciences and dentistry in the doctoral category.

VCU was also ranked in the top 10 for Asian-American degrees in business, homeland security and health professions as well as degrees by Hispanic students for master’s in business.

“The honor reflects the hard work and persistent commitment of VCU students, faculty, staff and administrators to support student success and our work to create an inclusive academic community,” said Kevin Allison, interim vice president for inclusive excellence. “The honor is also humbling because we know and acknowledge that we have much more work to do.”

Allison said VCU has success with diversity in part to the enrollment process, the University College’s support in engaging students’ first year experience, student advising, faculty and a commitment to financial resources and scholarships.

“During my time at VCU, we have seen the success of work that has closed the gap in graduation rates between underrepresented groups, at the same time we have been increasing our graduation rates overall,” Allison said. “It has been an impressive and laudable accomplishment but we are always striving to do better.”

SaraRose Martin