Trump to phase out DACA

Photo by Erin Edgerton
Photo by Erin Edgerton

Following a week of rallies and meetings, immigrant rights groups and the VCU community have vowed to protect those affected by the Trump Administration’s decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

VCU President Michael Rao said the university stands by its DACA recipients as the university looks at its next steps following the Trump administration’s announcement it will end the program.

“We remain certain of VCU’s unequivocal support of our DACA students,” Rao said. “DACA students are an integral part of our community, and VCU will continue to assist DACA students as they complete their educations and move on to contribute to our society.”

The VCU Student Government Association released a statement on Twitter reminding students of on-campus resources like the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, University Counseling Services and the Wellness Resources Center. The statement encouraged students to contact their representatives in Congress to advocate for the protection of undocumented immigrants.

Photo by Erin Edgerton

“Our DACA students assist in cultivating a diverse and unique environment at VCU,” the statement read. “The student government stands behind all of its students.” 

Political Latinx United for Movement and Action in Society at VCU was at the forefront of the action following the announcement on Sept. 5 by U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to dismantle DACA.

PLUMAS at VCU was joined by Richmond Peace Education Center and Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy the night of the announcement for a rally, march and vigil at Abner Clay Park.

“We’re here to defend our community, we’re here to defend DACA,” said Lana Martinez of the Virginia Interfaith Center.

The following morning, PLUMAS at VCU met with Rao, and other high level university administrators. There, the organization called on the university to advocate, protect and provide financial support for the university’s undocumented students.

Directly after the meeting, PLUMAS at VCU held a rally on campus to put pressure on the university’s administration to keep their promises. 

Photo by Erin Edgerton.

“We deserve dignity. We are not asking for it, we are demanding it,” said Ana Diaz Casos, president of PLUMAS at VCU. “We have that right and no one can tell us otherwise.”

During the meeting, the executive board of PLUMAS demanded that the university advocate on their behalf to state and federal government representatives to pass legislation to protect undocumented immigrants.

They also urged Rao to instruct the VCU Police Department to not ask for immigration status if a student calls to report a crime, and to adopt programs similar to other state universities to financially support undocumented students who are at risk of losing their in-state tuition status.

Rao agreed to many requests and promised to do everything he can within legal limits to help protect undocumented students.

The university is exploring the possibility of starting a fund, similar to a program at George Mason University, known as Mason DREAMERS.

The fund consists of donations from outside donors including alumni, corporations and community members — none from the university itself. It would help alleviate the cost of tuition and fees for students who risk losing their status of in-state tuition.

Rao also said the university would not release any information to the public about undocumented students’ status, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.

“I don’t want students at VCU to be living in any fear,” Rao said. “If you call to report a crime, you should feel safe and know that your immigration status will not be questioned.” 

Photo by Erin Edgerton.

The Obama-era legislation protects DACA recipients until March 5, 2018 where they will receive benefits including Medicaid, being able to apply for driver’s licenses and in-state tuition for college students.

However, those whose DACA status will expire within the next six months must apply for renewal by Oct. 5 of this year. The Department of Homeland Security is no longer accepting new DACA applications.

Those who do not reapply in time for an extension of their status risk deportation. President Trump called on Congress to pass legislation to protect the children of undocumented immigrants in the next six months.

However, in Yanet Limon-Amado’s case — a DACA recipient and VCU student — her situation leaves her in limbo.

During the rally on campus, Limon-Amado shared her story with a crowd of onlookers and DACA supporters.

“Do I look different? The only thing that separates me from you is my legal status,” Limon-Amado said. “The fear I once had is back again.”

Limon-Amado’s DACA status expires in Oct. 2018, preventing her from renewing her application in this coming October, leaving her without legal status come March 2018.

Photo by Erin Edgerton

“I’ve been here at VCU for two semesters and I love it,” Limon-Amado said. “The fact that I won’t be able to continue in the next two semesters because my DACA will expire … I can’t even cry.”

58 VCU students are part of the more than 12,000 protected by DACA  in Virginia.

Even with Rao’s support, PLUMAS at VCU said that they will continue to observe the university’s actions and advocate for those who cannot speak up without the fear of revealing their immigration status.

“We are here to hold President Rao’s promises accountable because people’s lives are at stake,” Casos said.

PLUMAS at VCU is encouraging students to attend DACA renewal clinics throughout the month of September before the pending October deadline. They are also holding “UndocuAlly” trainings for people who are interested in advocating for the undocumented community in the coming weeks.

Fadel Allassan, Contributing Writer

Georgia Geen, Staff Writer

NEWS EDITOR

hibaheadshot-1Hiba Ahmad
Hiba is a senior studying broadcast journalism and religious studies. In addition to writing for the CT, she is the campus editor-at-large for the Huffington Post, a reporter for VCU InSight and president of United Muslim Relief at VCU. This summer, Hiba interned with the Muslim Public Affairs Council in Washington, D.C. She previously interned with Voice for America and as a web content intern for VCU’s Richard T. Robertson School of Media and Culture.
Facebook | LinkedIn | ahmadh@commonwealthtimes.org