Women’s tennis snaps loosing streak

MTSU

VCU women’s tennis snapped a four-game losing streak Sunday when they defeated the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State University at the Adams Tennis Complex by a final of 4-3 to improve their record to 11-6.

The doubles pair of sophomores Janina Braun and Anna Rasmussen got things going for the Black and Gold with a 6-1 opening victory — the dynamic duo is now an impressive 16-7 on the season. Senior Darya Berezhnaya and sophomore Magda Aubets later sealed the decisive doubles point for VCU with a 6-3 victory.

The 2-1 doubles win was the deciding factor for the Rams, as they split the remaining six singles matches with the Blue Raiders.

Berezhnaya was the first to put the Rams on the board in singles action with a win in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4 — the senior is a dominant 18-5 on the year in singles play.

Rasmussen would later grab a singles victory herself, also in straight sets, to improve her personal record to 15-7 on the season.

Braun contributed the third and final singles victory for the Black and Gold in a three-set thriller, 7-5, 1-6, 7-6.   

Memphis

Women’s tennis’ losing skid continued Saturday on the road against the University of Memphis by a final tally of 4-1. The loss was VCU’s fourth consecutive defeat and dropped the Black and Gold to 10-6 on the year.

Rasmussen and Braun made major contributions for VCU, once again recording a win in doubles competition.

The Rams’ quick start did not last long, however, as the Black and Gold were unable to muster another victory in doubles as they would lose two close matches 6-4, 6-3, to put pressure on them in singles competition.

VCU managed to keep the match close as they earned a singles victory to tie the affair at 1-1.

Rasmussen continued her great play on the day, as she tallied the Rams’ only singles victory in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Rasmussen improved to 14-7 on the season in singles competition.

Braun was involved in a close match on singles court Saturday, a struggle which proved to be the turning point in the matchup against the Tigers. Anki Wind managed to outlast Braun in a back-and-forth heartbreaker, 7-6 (5), 7-5.

Despite the loss, Braun is having a breakout season, as she sports an overall record of 19-7 in singles competition this year. Wind’s victory gave Memphis a 2-1 lead, and they would not look back, tallying two more singles’ victories en route to the win.

VCU had one more opportunity to keep the match within striking distance. On court five, freshman Gabriela Araujo managed to win the second set in a tie-breaker, sending the match into a third set. However, Memphis’ Katherine Cao managed to come away with the victory in the third set, 6-1.

Rodney Robinson

SPORTS EDITOR

Zach Joachim. Photo by Julie TrippZach Joachim
Zach is a junior pursuing a dual degree in print journalism and English. A proud Norfolk-ian, he enjoys long walks on the beach, English literature of the romantic period and anything pertaining to Harry Potter or baseball. Zach an avid Red Sox and Patriots fan who can usually be found working at the Student Media Center or running along the James.
Facebook | joachimz@commonwealthtimes.org

1 Comment on Women’s tennis snaps loosing streak