Women’s basketball seizes win in front of record-size crowd

Photo by Julie Tripp
Photo by Julie Tripp
Photo by Julie Tripp
Photo by Julie Tripp

VCU women’s basketball kicked-off their 2016-17 season with a decisive 73-44 victory against visiting Coppin State University Friday morning at the Siegel Center.

Senior guards Isis Thorpe and Ashley Pegram led the way for the Rams, each posting double-digit scoring tallies with 11 and 10 points, respectively.

VCU coach Beth O’Boyle said the experience of her backcourt was a major reason why the Rams were able to control the game against the Eagles.

“It’s just great to have seniors like Ashley and Isis out there talking and being comfortable on the court,” O’Boyle said.

Senior guard Keira Robinson and junior forward Curteeona Brelove also played key roles in the victory. Robinson rounded out the stat sheet with seven points, seven assists, six rebounds, two steals and a block.  Brelove dominated the boards with a game-high 10 rebounds, including five offensive boards, affording the Rams several opportunities for critical second-chance points.

However, the victory came down to a total team effort, as 13 different players each made their mark on the scoring sheet, helping the Rams hold a wire-to-wire lead.

O’Boyle said this sort of depth gives VCU a serious advantage as they head into the new campaign.

“I think one of the things that’s great about this team this year is how balanced we are,” she said. “I think every game you’re going to come in here and there might be a different leading scorer or a different player that leads us in rebounds or assists. It really is exciting to have all those options.”

The VCU defense was stout throughout the game, as the Rams held the visitors to just over 30 percent shooting from the field and 0-for-13 from beyond the arc.

O’Boyle said she was happy with the performance of her squad, but admits there is always room for improvement.

“I was pleased with our effort today. Those first games you have a little bit of nerves and you’re trying to work through some of those things and there were moments that we showed how well we can play together,” she said. “We have a long way to go, but it’s always great when you can earn the first win of the year.”

The fans seemed equally happy to kick the season off with a victory, as a record-attendance of 4,132 had the Siegel Center rocking throughout the contest.

“That was the best part,” O’Boyle said. “You come out and there’s 4,000 screaming fans and it feels great.”

Nearly 30 Richmond-area elementary and middle schools made the trip down Broad Street to cheer on the Rams for Education Day, helping VCU shatter their previous women’s basketball attendance record of 2,259.

“The atmosphere was beautiful,” Thorpe said. “The kids were fun. They gave a lot of energy for us as players to come out and just put on a show for the kids and represent VCU in a positive way.”

The Black and Gold host the second game of the season against  University of Minnesota at the Siegel Center on Nov. 15.

Nick Versaw, Contributing Writer

PHOTO EDITOR

Julie Tripp. Photo by Sarah KingJulie Tripp
Julie is a senior studying photography with a minor in media studies. This is her third year working with the CT, and she spent last summer interning for Richmond Magazine. Last semester, Julie spent a semester abroad studying photography at The University of the West of England. After Julie graduates she plans on pursuing a career as a photojournalist for print and online publications.
Facebook | LinkedIn | Portfolio | trippjm@commonwealthtimes.org