KISS rocks and rolls their way through Richmond

KISS’ “Freedom to Rock” will stop in 36+ cities nationwide between July 7 and September 10. Photo by Muktaru Jalloh

Legendary rock band KISS performed at the Richmond Coliseum last Friday as part of their “Freedom To Rock Tour,”  the icons have dedicated each show to Army military veterans. In addition to assigning a local military vet in each city to be their “roadie for the day”, the band has also donated tickets to all veterans who would like to attend.

Opening the show with their hits “Detroit Rock City” and “Deuce,” the group appeared on stage surrounded by a platform of flames, sparks and colorful lighting. Throughout the night, KISS performed ‘70s and ‘80s classics like “Cold Gin,” “Black Diamond” and “Rock Bottom.”

Despite their age and only two surviving members, the show proved that the spirit of the group was still alive and well.

“Tonight there is no one playing under the stage. No lip-syncing. We are a rock and roll band!” original KISS member Paul Stanley said.

The crowd, filled with dedicated fans old and new, featured many with KISS’ signature face paint. Ranging from college students to veterans with their families, the show’s audience reflected the depth of KISS’ fan base over the years.

During the show, members of the group also received the key to the city from Richmond mayor Dwight Jones. Following a performance of the Star Spangled Banner, the group then played their 1975 hit, “Rock and Roll All Nite.”

Stanley stopped the show to reject recent protests from Colin Kaepernick.

“Patriotism is always cool. Loving your country is always cool. Standing up, respecting and honoring our military is always cool,” Stanley said.

STAFF WRITER

Muktaru JallohMuktaru Jalloh
Muktaru is a graduate student working on a Master’s of Teaching after earning an undergraduate degree in English and Political Science. In addition to writing for the CT, he also co-founds his own music and arts site, STROKES N RHYMES. Topic areas Muktaru enjoys covering include music, sports and pop culture.
Twitter | Facebook |
jallohmm@commonwealthtimes.org