VCU welcomes largest freshman class in history

meet the freshmen

Plans to navigate the Monroe Park Campus by vehicle this weekend likely went to the wayside as swaths of freshmen moving into the dorms shut down multiple streets on campus and a lane of the Belvidere exit from Interstate-64.

That’s because VCU greeted its largest-ever freshman class with 4,200 new students, up from 4,090 in fall 2015. The university’s total enrollment is now an estimated 31,500 for the fall semester, according to VCU News.

About 88 percent of this year’s freshmen are from Virginia, including more than 1,600 students from Northern Virginia and 900 from the Richmond-metro area. About 35 percent are first-generation college students. Minority students represent about 50 percent of the freshman class, down from 55 percent last year.

The university also welcomed 2,000 transfer students, including 1,600 students, or 80 percent, from the Virginia Community College System.

On Sunday, the Wellness Resource Center and Residential Life & Housing kicked off Welcome Week festivities with the annual Love n’ Liquor presentation where freshmen learned some startling facts about sex and alcohol, as well as their rights under Title IX. The presentation will continue  throughout the week.

On Tuesday, the Peppas will accompany freshmen in the annual Ram Spirit Walk down Broad St. Freshmen will march from convocation at the Siegel Center to a block party on Floyd Ave.

On Aug. 24, VCU Recreational Sports will host Rec Sports Night at the Cary Street Gym from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m., giving students the chance to learn about the gyms and activities offered to students on campus.

Fadel Allassan. Photo by Julie TrippNews Editor, Fadel Allassan
Fadel is a junior political science major. He is fluent in English, French and Sarcasm, and he probably doesn’t like you. Fadel enjoys writing about local, regional and national politics and making people drive him to Cook-Out. // Facebook | LinkedIn
allassanfg@commonwealthtimes.org