Homecoming reveal party announces concert line-up

Marcus Blackwell

Last month, students gathered at the VCU Compass for this year’s “Homecoming Reveal Party,” where the homecoming committee announced who would perform at this year’s concert.

Homecoming this year will be Nov. 8 through Nov. 15. Concert information and details will be released later in the semester.

This year, the concert will be headlined by hip-hop group Rae Sremmurd and R&B singer PartyNextDoor. Rae Sremmurd, known for popular hit songs “No Type” and “No Flex Zone,” is coming off of tour with Nicki Minaj, months after the release of debut album “SremmLife.”

The opening acts will be rock group Bad Rabbits and soul singer JMSN.

VCU sophomore Tiffany Grant was ecstatic about this year’s selections.

“This is a big step up from last year,” she said. “I love Rae Sremmurd and PND (PartyNextDoor), I’m sure this is going to be a concert to remember.”

In an effort to encourage volunteer sign-ups, the Activities Planning Board handed out T-shirts and socialized with the students during the reveal party event.

The night also consisted of a DJ battle with six participants: DJ Starr, DJ Tonio, Jonathan Wells, Michael Mickle, Titan and Passive.

Each DJ had three minutes to complete their set in front of the three judges. The DJs performed mixes that intertwined various music genres. With that said, their performances catered to the diverse members of the crowd.

After a competitive battle, DJ Titan came out victorious. After the competition, the Homecoming Committee concluded the event with the announcement of the homecoming concert performers.