Homecoming comes to a close

Mishika Tshishimbi

Photo by Christian Martinez

Braving the cool weather, crowds of students and alumni sported various hues of black and gold as they arrived for various game day events on Saturday.

The events kicked off at 11 a.m. at the Maggie Walkers Governor’s School with the Homecoming Parade. Chants and cheers resonated from the floats as the students made their way down W. Broad Street.

Each float was decorated by a different organization. Yellow T-shirts were tossed to passersby on the sidewalks as the band played various tunes. Although the parade ended at the commons, the festivities continued throughout Saturday afternoon, leading up to the Homecoming game against Dayton.

Trey Nunnally, a graphic design junior, was crowned prince on Friday night. Nunnally, who represented his fraternity, Alpha Kappa Lambda, said he was happy with how the parade turned out and that it intertwined the city with the school.

“It was the best way to promote vcu homecoming.” Nunnally said.

A tailgate began around noon at the Student Commons. As the DJs began to play a remix of Beyonce’s Crazy in Love blasted from a sound system. A number of vendors and food trucks were present during the tailgate, including Carytown Burgers and Fries, Campus Cookies, Goatacado and Alchemy.

Following the tailgate was the big basketball game, which began at 2 p.m. Students who were unable to attend the game were able to join a watch party in the Commons where the game was shown on two large projector screens. Despite a number of people who were unaware of the watch party, event organizers were hopeful that over time it would gain more traction.

Dorcas Koduah, a freshman who attended the watch party, said it went really well though she thought organizers “Could’ve chosen a different place.” She noted that many students in the commons were not interested in watching. Koduah thought It would be more beneficial to host the party in a place that was exclusively for watching the game.