Ball, Harm win consecutive A-10 honors

Bryant Drayton

Ball was named A-10 Golfer of the Week, accounting for 10 birdies and 37 pars at the Tar Heel Intercollegiate Sept. 12-14. CT File photo.

The VCU men’s golf team competed in the Tar Heel Intercollegiate Sept. 12-14, at the UNC Finley Golf Course in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Of the 18 teams to compete on the 54-hole course, the Rams finished ninth with a team score of 869.

Junior Adam Ball finished 6-under par to tie for fourth place overall. Ball finished with a three round score of 210, where he tallied 71-67-72. Ball was named Atlantic 10 Conference Golfer of the Week after recording 10 birdies and 37 pars over the course. Junior Steffen Harm, who was last week’s A-10 Player of the Week after recording his fifth career top-15 finish, placed 19th overall. Harm golfed a score of 71-74-70 over three rounds, for a 215 total.

University of South Alabama transfer sophomore Jamie Clare finished tied for 34th with 3-over and shot 71-75-73 for VCU. Clare led the Rams in birdies, as he chipped in 12 on the weekend. Freshman Errol Clark finished plus-9 and senior Gino Vandenberg finished plus-11, placing them with individual finishes of 63rd and 73rd.

The ninth place finish for VCU comes after the Rams placed fifth in the tournament last year where Vandenberg tied for 28th overall, and his score of 221 was the best of returning players from last season.

Harm, a German native, did not participate in the tournament last season but his play this year provided a boost to the Rams lineup as he continued his strong play early in the season.

Adam Ball is picking up right where he left off last season. The Richmond native recorded seven top-15 finishes during the 2013-14 season, along with being named to the All-Atlantic 10 Conference team. He has also led the team in scoring average each of his first two seasons.

Ball’s 5-under 67 during the second round on Saturday included four birdies and an eagle.

The Rams will look to continue their quest to another A-10 championship, on the clubs of Ball, the cornerstone of the team’s success, and the emerging Harm. 

VCU next participates in the annual Janney VCU Shootout at Hermitage Country Club Sept. 22-23.