Knitorious M.E.G. drops yarn bombs on Richmond

Daniel Parker

The anonymous knitter’s latest project, titled “Love Bombs,” can be seen around Richmond street signs. Photo by Brooke Marsh

For five years, cloaked by anonymity, Knitorious M.E.G. has transformed the street signs and landmarks of Richmond, by covering them in a colorful encasing of crochet.

Knitorious M.E.G learned to knit after taking up sewing during subway rides in New York City. In 2009, the anonymous knitter moved to Richmond and with a few years of experience, knitting led to yarn bombing.

“I learned to knit in early 2009 and made my first yarn bomb by the end of the year,” Knitorious stated on her personal website. “And I’ve been bombing ever since — sometimes often, sometimes not.”

Yarn bombing is a relatively new form of street art that uses yarn to cover street signs, landmarks and even statues. Unlike spray painting and other forms of graffiti, yarn bombing presents no damage to the environment.

According to Knitorious, local police have no problem with yarn bombing as long as it is easy to remove and does not obstruct signs. Following these rules, Knitorious said she chooses her targets for yarn bombing very carefully.

In an article with Deep South magazine, Knitorious described her favorite target for a yarn bomb.

“Something that once served a purpose but now doesn’t, like a signpost with no sign,” Knitorious said.

Some of her stranger targets include a broken bus bench and an abandoned bird bath. Knitorious’s latest target was a sign in Forest Hill Park marked with one of her current series, a candy cane pattern topped with a flag on top. She calls this latest series of work Love Bombs, a project she plans to continue for the entire year.

“I do not cover up existing street signs.  I intentionally select signless poles for my installations.” Knitorious stated.

Knitirious has also struck various landmarks around the city as well. Richmond’s Monument Avenue cannon was hit by her. The cannon draped in purple and pink yarn. This work was removed fairly quickly after being put up. Another victim of Knitroious’s yarn bomb was Mayo Bridge. The gray cement of part of the bridge sported a recoloring of purple and yellow yarn.

Although Knitorious hasput yarn bombs in other cities, she prefers putting most of her work inRichmond. In an interview with RVAcreates, Knitorious told why she preferred this city for her work.

“Richmond is a quirky and conservative city which makes it fun for me to leave unexpected spots of whimsy around,” said Knitorious. “I am a fan of both street art and Richmond, so yarn bombing is my way of adding to both those things.”

Knitorious is not alone in her work. She is also part of a larger collective of knitters called K1-D2. In an interview with Modernknitting, Knitorious says that the group is at a peak number of 19 members. Other yarn bombs not by Knitorious have also sprung up at Monroe Park and other places. Despite this popularity Knitorious doesn’t take commissions for work.

Maggie Lefante, a journalism student, commented on Knitorious’s work.

“I think anything that adds beauty to the city in an unexpected way is energizing; it’s uplifting,” said Maggie Lefante.

Knitorious’s latest target was a sign in Forest Hill Park marked with one of her current series, a candy cane pattern topped with a flag on top. She calls this latest series of work “Love Bombs,” a project she plans to continue for the entire year.

“I do not cover up existing street signs,” Knitorious stated on her personal website. “I intentionally select signless poles for my installations.”

Knitorious has also struck various landmarks around the city as well. She draped Richmond’s Monument Avenue cannon in purple and pink yarn. This work was removed fairly quickly by local residents after being put up. Another victim of Knitorious’s yarn bomb was the Mayo Bridge. The gray cement part of the bridge sported a recoloring of purple and yellow yarn.

Although Knitorious has placed yarn bombs in other cities, she prefers leaving most of her work in Richmond. In an interview with RVAcreates, Knitorious said being a fan of Richmond draws her towards yarn bombing the city.

“Richmond is a quirky and conservative city which makes it fun for me to leave unexpected spots of whimsy around,” Knitorious said. “I am a fan of both street art and Richmond, so yarn bombing is my way of adding to both those things.”

Knitorious is a part of a larger collective of knitters called K1-D2. In an interview with Modernknitting, Knitorious said the group is at a peak number of 19 members. Other yarn bombs not by Knitorious have also sprung up at Monroe Park and other places. Despite the popularity of yarn bombing, Knitorious doesn’t take commissions for work.

Journalism student Maggie Lefante said the yarn bombs add a bright spot to Richmond.

“I think anything that adds beauty to the city in an unexpected way is energizing; it’s uplifting,” Lefante said.

1. You are invited to the Purple Lady's 90th Birthday Party from 2 to 6 on 7/12/15 at the Comfort Suites Harbour View (same place as last time). (see Rachel Presha's Facebook page).
    Hope you can make it. You provided the lovely photos from her 85th birthday party and the knitted purple pole. Glad to see you're making a name for yourself.