The dope diaries: America’s downward spiral

Caitlin Stallings
Guest Contributor

Heroin first made its peak in 1898 and still is growing in popularity in our country. According to NBC Nightly News, heroin abuse in America has nearly doubled between 2007 and 2012. Many news organizations, including NBC Nightly News and BBC News, say one of the reasons for this horrific statistic may be the increased use of prescription drugs, which is considered the gateway to heroin.

America can no longer put the heroin epidemic on the back burner. State legislatures and Congress have waited far too long to respond to what some are calling a full-blown health crisis. Since our country failed at preventing the massive spread of heroin, we need solutions and we need them immediately.

Since heroin is usually cheaper, more available and easier to use than other drugs, it is the ideal substance for most addicts. Pill-poppers are most likely to run the risk of transforming into junkies because of heroin’s link with prescription drug abuse.

Besides the societal costs such as a rise in drug violence and the destruction of the family, one of the worst parts of the heroin epidemic is that its victims are being killed off one by one with no mercy. An accidental overdose of a concoction of drugs including heroin took the life of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman on February 2.

Shortly after, the Richmond community was hit hard with a tragedy of their own. David Brockie, the frontman for the heavy metal band Gwar, was found dead on his couch in his Richmond home on March 23. Police officials found evidence of heroin on the scene, but a cause of death had not been determined until recently. Brockie’s death was revealed to be a heroin overdose according to his autopsy. Although drug abuse is a problem in society, medical professionals say entertainers are far more susceptible because of the long hours on the road and the intense demands of performing.

113 Americans daily die from drug overdoses, which are now the leading cause of accidnetal death in America. Between 300,000 and 500,000 heroin addicts reside in the United States alone. These statistics merely serve as reminders that the heroin epidemic will only get worse before it gets better.

The heroin crisis is sweeping the nation faster than ever before, and we are now seeing celebrities and even suburban communities struggle with addiction.

Since I grew up in the small, rural town of Mechanicsville, Virginia I witnessed the immediate and long-term effects of heroin on a tight-knit community. Roughly around the ages of 16 to 20 years, students from the high school I attended began to start using heroin recreationally after a cheap heroin knockoff drug called Krokodil made its rounds to a select few in the area. Once most of the users found out about Krokodil’s flesh-eating effects — literally rotting the skin from the inside out — they moved on to the “real deal,” heroin.

I watched so many people much younger than me with their whole lives ahead of them go in and out of rehabilitation facilities and jail cells battling with (and sometimes losing to) this powerful drug. I saw families and friendships crumble and break beyond repair. Once the nationwide heroin epidemic struck my hometown, my eyes were opened up to the seriousness of this issue our country is forced to face. To truly overcome this major obstacle, heroin can no longer be seen as an inner city problem or one affecting a small group of people. No one is immune; the effects of heroin have the ability to reach far more than it already has.

17 Comments on The dope diaries: America’s downward spiral

1. Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site?

My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors
    would truly benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you. Many thanks!

2. Heya! I understand this is somewhat off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does running a well-established website like yours take a massive amount work?
    I’m brand new to running a blog but I do write in my diary daily.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and thoughts
    online. Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for new aspiring bloggers.
    Thankyou!

3. Great blog right here! Also your website rather a lot up very fast!
    What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate link in your host?
    I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

4. Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic
    but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?
    I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be fantastic if you could point me in the
    direction of a good platform.

5. When a septic tank is emptied, the collected
    sludge (septage, additionally referred to as fecal sludge) is pumped
    out of the storage tank by a vacuum truck Exactly how often the
    septic tank need to be cleared depends on the
    volume of the storage tank about the input of solids, the
    amount of money of indigestible solids, as well as the ambient temperature level (because anaerobic digestion happens more effectively at higher temperature
    levels), in addition to usage, system qualities and also
    the needs of the appropriate authority.

6. I do consider all the ideas you have presented on your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too short for starters. Could you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

7. Excellent post. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hey there, You’ve performed an excellent job.
    I will definitely digg it and individually recommend to my friends.

I’m confident they will be benefited from
    this site.

8. 自毛植毛は、薄毛の人には、劇的な見た目の変化が期待できるので注目されています。ただ優秀なドクターに手術を受けないと考えているような効果は期待できません。育毛剤に比べて、合計の費用も安くなるので経済的に優しい薄毛治療と言えます。

9. こちらで紹介しているのは痩せる脱毛を採用している脱毛に特化した美容院です。痩身効果成分配合のローションを使用して脱毛を行うので、脱毛するだけではなく痩身効果を実感できます。脱毛と同じタイミングで体が引き締まるので、大事なイベントの前に行ってみることをおすすめします。月に1度のご来店で他所のサロンに2回通う分の効果があると好評いただいています。