Festivals offer deals on summer fun for students

Janeal Downs

Richmond offers students more than just summer classes, work and a hot sun. In June, July and August, the city will host a number of festivals that VCU students can afford. Here are just some of the summer activities and festivals available to the students still in town.

RVA Streets Alive

Shutting down a large portion of Broad Street on June 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. this event is free to the public.
Movement that does not include cars, such as walking and biking, are encouraged for this event. There will be many vendors along the streets with free activities available for all ages.

Uncorked and Tapped Wine and Beer Festival

Another festival for people 21 and older, this festival will be held at the Bon Secours Washington Redskin Training Center, which is located at 2401 W. Leigh St. It will last from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 21.

Five wineries and five breweries from Virginia will participate. Each will be paired with a local restaurant or food truck. Tickets, which are $15 in advance and $20 at the door, will include samples of wine, beer, food and also an Uncorked & Tapped glass.

Other vendors with arts and crafts will be present along with live music from Slack Family Bluegrass Band.

The Richmond Vegetarian Festival

For the vegetarian residents and visitors of Richmond, the Richmond Vegetarian Festival will be held at Bryant Park on June 21 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. This is a free event and will include live music, an Iron Chef competition and more than 100 vendors.

Author of “Main Street Vegan,” Victoria Moran, and author of “Farm Sanctuary,” Gene Bauer, will be featured speakers at the event. Jonathan Austin, juggler and magician, will perform. Meteorologist Mike Goldberg will also be present.

Arts & Culture Xpo

This event is free of charge and will be held at the Greater Richmond Convention Center on June 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This is the Arts & Culture Xpo’s fourth year.

The event will highlight local non-profit arts and culture organizations. There will be hands-on activities available and a variety of on-stage performances, including music, visual arts, history, dance and theater.

Glow Run RVA

The Glow Run RVA will be held July 12 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. on the grounds of Maymont. This is a three mile run or walk, where people of any age can participate. Participants will be given a Glow Run RVA t-shirt, glow sticks and other glowing items.

A disc jockey will be present and prizes will also be given out. All of the money earned will go to support Maymont. To register, visit glowrunrva.com.

The Fifth Annual Jazz and Food Festival

This festival will be held August 1 from 12 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at St. Elizabeth’s Church, located at 2717 2nd Ave. The cost is $5 to enter.

Musicians will play traditional and contemporary jazz. Along with a DJ, presenters include Carlton Ayles, James “Saxmo” Gates and Plunky and Oneness. American and Soul food, crafts and jewelry sales, raffles and games will round out the offerings. Many non-profits will also be present to speak with members of the community about health issues and other community concerns.

The Ninth Annual Filipino Festival

For free admission, the Filipino Festival will be held at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, located at 8200 Woodman Rd., on August 9 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Customary dishes such as lumpia will be served. San Miguel Island Brew and Virginia Wine will also be available, but the festival is open to all ages.

Live music will be played by Pinoy Republic, Janet Martin, D’Originals and Groove Train. Along with music, there will be hands-on crafts and multiple vendors at the festival.

3 Comments

1. Fаntastіc ѕite. A lot of һelpful information here. I’m sending iit to a few Ьuddies ans additionally sһaring in delicious.
    And obviоusly, thank yօu to your sweat!