Nutritional information now available in Shafer

Janeal Downs

VCU Dining Services partnered with ARAMARK to introduce a new healthy food program for students dining on campus this fall.

The Healthy for Life Program, which launched this semester, offers information about healthy eating habits on the dining services website and informative brochures located in Shafer Dining Court.

“To me healthy for life, it’s an education … an education on how you can eat healthier on campus, and that’s what’s important to us,” said Michael Martin, dining service’s resident district manager.

The initiative offers information on serving sizes, portion control and provides more nutritional information on the food items offered around campus. Each station in Shafer provides some type of nutritional information for the food it serves, Martin said.

“We’re not adding new healthy features because we actually have a lot, we’re just making sure students are educated on what healthy options we do offer and how we can help you make those choices,” said Kristan Cole, marketing, trademarks & licensing manager for the department of business services.

Some students, like sophomore exercise science major Armando Luyando, are grateful that VCU Dining Services is making nutritional information available.

“We may not have some of the healthiest options, but it’s also what you eat and how you eat, timing and all that,” Luyando said.

Student input about dining options are taken into account, said dining services director of residential operations Michael Cohee. Because of student requests, Market 810 has added almond milk, rice milk, some gluten-free options, and more fresh food items to the daily menu.

“Health and wellness is something we’ve always strived at,” Cohee said. “ARAMARK, not only here at VCU but in general, has taken a stand to better educate our customers on healthy options that we have.”