Films at the Polish Film Festival

In Darkness
Directed by Agnieszka Holland (2011)

“In Darkness” tells the tale of Leopold Socha, a worker in the Lwow sewage system. In 1943, Socha and a co-worker managed to shelter several Jewish people who fled the Lvov ghetto and hid from the Nazis. Along with their wives, Socha and his friend sheltered the group for more than 14 months, providing them with resources and helping them survive the war. Socha and his friends have received the title of Righteous Among the Nations, a title given by the state of Israel to gentiles who risked their lives to help Jews in the Holocaust.

The film was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, but lost to “A Separation,” which was made in Iran.

“Revenge”
Directed by Andrzej Wajda (2002)
Shown at 7 p.m. on April 8

An adaptation of a stage farce, “Revenge” is a comedy about the inhabitants of a Polish castle split between two rivals who both seek the love of a wealthy widow. One man wants her for himself, while the other wants her to marry his son. However, the son in question is in love with the ward of his father’s rival, who is in turn pined after by a man played by famous director Roman Polanski.

The film shows characteristics of the 19th century setting while also relying on sharp wit and humor to tell the story.

“Sexmission”
Directed by Juliusz Machulski (1984)
Shown at 7 p.m. pn April 10

“Sexmission” is a multi-genre film bearing elements of comedy, science-fiction, drama and political satire. Two men named Albert and Max volunteer for a hibernation program, but wake up several years farther in the future than intended. Now in 2044, radiation has wiped out all the males on Earth, leaving a society of women living underneath the Earth’s surface. Since the feminist regime has figured out how to reproduce without males, the men will either be killed or given a sex change. The two men have to find a way to survive the dangerous women.

“Vinci”
Directed by Juliusz Machulski (2004)
Shown at 7 p.m. on April 9

“Vinci” tells the tale of Cuma, an art thief. Having just been released from prison, Cuma is given the chance to steal again, this time the Leonardo da Vinci painting “Lady with an Ermine,” with the help of his friend, Julian. While fine with the plan, Julian is a bit worried about the da Vinci painting going missing. To cover their tracks, Cuma recruits a forger and his apprentice to make another copy of the painting so that the duo can hang it as they steal the original. The film is a light caper flick that shows off modern Poland.

“With Fire and Sword”
Directed by Jerzy Hoffman (1999)
Shown at 3 p.m. on April 13

“With Fire and Sword” is based on a historical novel by Henryk Sienkiewicz. Set in the 17th century, the film is set in Ukraine during the Khmelnytsky Uprising (1648-1651), a Cossack rebellion that later became a war of liberation for Ukraine to secede from Poland. The film tells of a Polish knight and Ukranian otaman falling for the same woman. Blending a character driven plot with historical events, this film is one of the most expensive Polish films ever made.

“Katyn”
Directed by Andrzej Wajda (2007)
Shown at 1 p.m. on April 14

An Oscar nominated war drama, Katyn is inspired by the Katyn massacre, a mass execution of Polish prisoners of war officers and citizens by Soviets in 1940. The film follows two Polish soldiers, Andrzej and Jerzy, and how paths cross in the war as a result of being detained by the Soviets, and in particular shows how their meeting leads to mutual tragedy and loss.