SPECTRUM SCRUFF: The No-Shave November Series

Throughout the month of November, Spectrum will follow three students as they participate in No-Shave November. No-Shave November encourages everyone to abandon their razors for a month and see how long their beards or underarm hair can grow. Every Monday, check back with Spectrum to see how they are growing.

Every November, men across America take part in No-Shave November, choosing to drop their razors for a month and see how far their beards can go.

No-Shave November is a variation of the original  Australian Movember. Movember focuses on growing only a mustache and is often a way to raise awareness about men’s health isues. The hope is that people will ask the men why they are growing a mustache and the men can then explain the issues, such as pancreatic and prostate cancer.
No-Shave November is generally not a charity or awareness-based event, but some organizations, such as St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, offer a contest to grow the best beard.  All money paid to enter the contest is a donation to the cause.
Throughout November, Spectrum will be following three students who have chosen to participate in No-Shave November and have the growth of their beard and underarm hair documented.

Andy Utterback is a junior history major who has participated in No-Shave November in the past.  Utterback has also admitted to only being able to grow a handsome goatee, the only flaw in his beard growing ability.

Andrew Gregory is a junior biology major who generally keeps a long beard, but chose to trim it short for Spectrum Scruff.

Katy Marchese is a sophomore communication arts major who normally does not shave her underarms or legs.  For Spectrum Scruff, Marchese will be growing out her underarm hair.

This week, we asked Scruffers: What are the issues you have encountered with your hair growth this month?

I don’t have any problems with my beard. It’s not itchy, no acne. It’s just scruff. I’m hoping it keeps growing. (After November), I’ll probably trim it a little … on my cheeks here and maybe my neck. No real problems though, I’m just trying to look acceptable for the rest of the world.

Andrew Gregory

Andrew Gregory

Katy Marchese

Katy Marchese

I haven’t had as many problems as I thought. I thought it’d be really itchy but it’s fine. I guess the worst part is that I forget that I have hairy pits and when I reach over people to get something from someone, they just want me to move away. Other people aren’t thinking it’s as great as I do. It’s fine though. No lice or anything, no bird’s nests.

Andy Utterback

Andy Utterback

I can’t think of anything right off the bat that’s a blatant issue. I have had the urge to shave and I’ve had to suppress that. I guess that would be my only issue: that I want to shave, but I cannot. I haven’t had to deal with any itchiness and it hasn’t affected my social life. I either want to shave it all off or just remove these three hairs on my cheeks.

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!