VCU baseball on season-opening West Coast road trip

After starting the season on an five-game road stint, the VCU baseball team returns home for the next 11 games.

CT Sports Staff

The VCU baseball team traveled to California for the first five games of the season, playing three games against Long Beach State and two at Pepperdine.

The Rams (1-3) opened the 2012 campaign with a win back on Feb. 17, defeating Long Beach State 5-4 in dramatic fashion, putting up four runs in the top of the ninth. Brent Mikionis, Vimael Macin and Paul Nice all had RBIs in the inning as VCU took the lead and secured it in the bottom of the ninth, thanks to Blake Hauser who came in and earned the save.

Since the opening day win, however, VCU has dropped three straight as Long Beach State came back to win the series by defeating the Rams each of the next two days by scores of 7-6 and 3-2. On Tuesday, VCU traveled to Pepperdine where they lost the first of a two game set 6-1, which ended a streak of three straight one-run contests. The two teams squared off again on Wednesday, but results were too late for press time.

Following the tour of California, the Rams will be at home for the next 11 games. From Feb. 24-26 they host Binghampton in a three-game set. After that, they play one against Norfolk State, three against Monmouth and one against Temple before playing their first conference series against Towson beginning on March 9.