Women’s soccer notebook: VCU falls to 0-2 in CAA play

Women's soccer is looking for answers after dropping their first two CAA matches.

Quinn Casteel
Assistant Sports Editor
Commonwealth Times’ Sports Twitter

Rams fall 2-1 to Northeastern in first conference match
VCU dropped yet another match in the dwindling moments on Friday at Northeastern, giving up the game-winner in the 89th minute. Kelly Matthews, a senior defender for Northeastern, netted a free kick to vault the Huskies to victory as the Rams fell to 2-6-1 overall, and 0-1 in the CAA.

Heather Hovanesian’s goal in the 36th minute was VCU’s lone bright spot in the contest. Hovanesian finished off a pass from midfielder Gabby Wilson to tie the game at one, late in the first half. From there, it would be nothing but frustration for VCU as they would not find the net for the rest of the contest.

Goalkeeper Kristin Carden was not her usual self either, allowing two goals despite facing just five shots. Meanwhile on the other end, Northeastern keeper Paige Burnett made eight saves and allowed just one to go in.

Despite the loss, VCU controlled the ball and the pace, peppering Burnett throughout the game. The offense racked up 15 shots, nine of which were on goal. Hovanesian had four shots, all of which were on target. Maren Johansen, who scored the game-winner against U.C. Riverside in the previous game, kept pace with four shots of her own.

VCU loses fourth 1-0 match of the season to Hofstra
The disappointment continued for VCU in the second leg of their Northeast road trip as they were shut out by Hofstra on Sunday afternoon.

Carden would rebound from her rough game against Northeastern, playing brilliantly throughout the match. The VCU keeper had six saves and allowed the game’s only goal on a deflection off a cross, midway through the first half.
However, the Ram offense never found its stride because of a stifling Hofstra back four. Although they would get off 11 total shots, VCU failed to produce quality scoring chances. The Pride’s defense held VCU to just two shots on goal throughout the entire game.

Senior Molly Allen's leadership will be pivotal in showing up the defense.

Rams host George Mason on Thursday in CAA home opener
VCU will look to rebound from their first two conference games in the CAA home opener against George Mason on Thursday, Sept. 29.

The Patriots are off to a slow start of their own, currently sitting at 3-4-3 on the season. They went to double overtime and eventually tied Old Dominion 4-4 in a wild match in their conference opener last Friday. They would lose 3-1 to William & Mary on Sunday, and like VCU, are still looking for their first CAA victory.

VCU is back at home for the first time since they lost to Georgetown back on Sept. 4, which caps a near one-month hiatus in home games. The VCU Massey Cancer Center has deemed the match a blue-out and will hand out free t-shirts to the first 100 fans who arrive at Sports Backers Stadium. The match starts at 7 p.m.

*

Photos by Chris Conway