Caffeine addictions now satisfied all night at Cabell

Hillary Huber

Students will now be able to satisfy late-night caffeine cravings in the James Branch Cabell Library.

During the last few weeks of each semester, Cabell Library hosts a program called Library Lite All Nite, in which students have access to the library 24 hours a day, Sunday through Thursday. Although students have utilized the late-night hours, popular coffee chain Starbucks has never been a participant in the program until this semester.

VCU libraries approached the company about extending hours of operation during exam weeks along with the Library Lite All Nite program. When Starbucks was provided with information regarding how many students populated the library over night, they agreed that participating in the program would benefit both parties.

“Not only is (having Starbucks open all night) a convenience, it also provides security enhancement for students,” Teresa Doherty, Head of Circulation and Information Services and Access Librarian, said. “If students wanted to get coffee or food not found in a vending machine, they would have to walk to sketchy areas late at night. Now they don’t event have to leave the building.”

Zuhra Abbaman, a student library assistant, says she has heard nothing but positive feedback about the new hours.

“Students love it. They’re obsessed. Having Starbucks open all night works out really well for students. If they’re going to be up all night studying, they’re going to need coffee to stay up,” Abbaman said.

Andy Tran, a junior English major, said he wouldn’t mind seeing the extended hours year round.

“Education is important. We’re paying a lot of money to VCU, so in my opinion, Starbucks and the library should always be open,” said Tran. “What if you have an annoying roommate? It’s not like they can just go home. Students should have places like the fourth floor of the library open at all times to study.”

According to Doherty, the library stays open during hours when students are most likely to use it, which they determine from monitoring library population.

This semester, the Cabell library, as well as Starbucks will be open from 11 a.m. Sunday morning, until 6 p.m. Friday night, until May 14.