PATTY’S DAY PLANNER

St. Patty’s day is next Thursday. Readers sticking around Richmond for spring break may consider supplementing their bar crawl with one or many of these wholesome events taking place in and around town. Remember to wear green – or don’t, you wascally webel, you.

Get ready early on March 12

SHOCKOE BOTTOM |N. 17th St.

• Shamrock the Block According to its website, this event “is FREE to attend, with great food, live music all day and plenty o’ green beverages for you to enjoy safely, so bring a designated driver. Last year, 25,000 of your neighbors poured into the streets of historic Shockoe Bottom for this first outdoor event of the season.” 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Free.

Band lineup:

Uisce Beatha (celtic rock/pub music), 12 p.m. – 12:45 p.m.

Higway Saints (rock), 1 p.m. – 2 p.m

Trongone Band (classic rock covers), 2:15 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.

Age of Excess (80’s hair covers), 3:45 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.

Bayside (new rock), 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.

Celebrate on the day

THE HAT FACTORY | 140 Virginia St. 788-4281

• St. Patrick’s Day After Work Showdown U2 vs Yacht Rock featuring: Even Better Than The Real Thing – U2 Tribute and Three Sheets To The Wind, America’s #1 Tribute to Yacht Rock. Doors open at 5 p.m. Showtime 6:00 p.m. $6 before 6 p.m. on St. Patrick’s Day; $8 after 6:00 p.m.
  • GREEN featuring Better Than the Real Thing and Three Sheets to the Wind. DYI dance party follows. Doors open at 6 p.m. Event starts at 7 p.m. $5, $7 ages 18-20.

CAPITAL ALE HOUSE | 623 E. Main St. 780-2537

• Enter the Haggis According to the Capital Ale House website, “This world class Celtic rock band will be taking our Music Hall stage on St. Patrick’s Day, March 17th, 2011! Take on a musical experience where you are immersed in the sounds of diverse and unusual elements. Playing a Celtic fusion of rock, traditional Celtic, bluegrass, folk and political punk, ETH will no doubt engage you in their notorious high energy show!” Doors at 8:30 p.m. Showtime 9 p.m. $20 in advance, $25 at door.
  • Greater Richmond Pipes & Drums According to its website, GRPD “was founded in 1996 in Richmond, Virginia. We have grown to become the largest competition and performance bagpipe and drum band in Central Virginia. We now comprise over 35 bagpipers and drummers from Richmond, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, Norfolk & Williamsburg.” Shows at 6:15 p.m., 8 p.m., 10 p.m., and from 10:30 p.m. “until…”

SINÉ IRISH PUB | 1327 E. Cary St. 649-7767

• 12th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Street Party According to the Siné Irish Pub website, this event will feature “live music by Cy Taggert (Taggart), Beast Wellington, Gill, Three-O, William Walter & Company! DJ James spins the tunes in the Patio Pub!” Continues from Thursday March 17 to Sunday March 20. For full schedule, visit www.sineirishpub.com.