French Film Festival unveils diversity of French cinema

Veronica Garabelli

Director of Social Media

Hearing people speak French in the distance is all too common at VCU’s and the University of Richmond’s French Film Festival. The festival, which was held March 25-28 in Carytown’s Byrd Theatre, was packed with avid participants up until its last day. With an audience that ranged from teenagers to senior citizens and versatile films, the French Film Festival was able to provide moviegoers with a taste of that irresistible French culture.

“En terre étrangère”

Documentary

Directed by Christian Zerbib

1 hour, 16 minutes

‘En terre étrangère” is a documentary that provides a glimpse of what life is like for illegal immigrants in France. The film switches back and forth from interviewing immigrants in France, their families in Africa and rehashing stories of failed attempts to unlawfully enter Europe.

Seydou Togola (who was a special guest at the festival alongside the film’s director) journeys back to Mali to visit his family. There we’re introduced to his elderly father who’s delighted to see his son’s return. “He told me he was coming but I didn’t believe it,” says his father.

Throughout the film we hear immigrants echo the same sentiment – you can work really hard in Africa but you will either not have a job, or barely make any money at all. However, one of the strongest points the film makes is that life isn’t a bed of roses in France either. They can’t visit their families in Africa because they will probably not be able to get back into France. Another former illegal immigrant says one of the hardest decisions he had to make was when he couldn’t go to his brothers’ burial when they died in a train accident. An electrician, who has lived illegally in France for 14 years, proudly shows off his newly acquired one-year residency card. Still, He recalls living in constant fear whenever he saw a policeman for fear of having to show his papers.

During the question and answer session after the film, director Christian Zerbib says it is common to see commercials in France about illegal immigration, but you just see the faces of immigrants instead of hearing their stories. Zerbib’s “En terre étrangère” does the opposite; it tells the story of illegal immigration in France from the immigrants’ point of view. We don’t get to see much of the other side (Nicolas Sarkozy’s favor of quotas are mentioned). They interview some coast guard workers whose job it is to prevent illegal entry by boats), but most of the commentary comes from immigrants, volunteers or prominent French figures (actors, politicians) who want to legalize illegal immigrants.

If one message is clear in this film, it’s that the immigrants in France haven’t lost hope. Even though they are often the outcasts of society they are determined to stay. A solution must be found around the world, although it is still hard to say exactly what the right choice may be.

Grade: B+

“Erreur de la banque en votre faveur”

Comedy

Directed by Gérard Bitton and Michel Munz

1 hour, 44 minutes.

This lighthearted comedy revolves around Julien (Gérard Lanvin), a maître d’ of the reputable investment bank Berthin-Schwartz, who works there for 17 years, only to be laid off. Undeterred, Julien plans to open a restaurant with his chef friend Étienne (Jean-Pierre Darroussin). The catch is that he needs a loan from his former employer. When they refuse  to give it to him, he cashes in on their insider  training, only to have the plan spiral out of control.

“Erreur de la banque en votre faveur” has its quirky characters  to thank (and screenwriters, Bitton and Munz who wrote and directed the film) for much of its charm. Middle -aged Étienne steals  the show with his infatuation with his barely-legal girlfriend  Harmony (Jennifer Decker).  Meanwhile , Julien and Étienne couldn’t  be more different–Julien only has  time for businessm  while Étienne falls  head over heels in love.

Á la “Oceans Eleven,” this film involves  an intricate, fun plot. Unlike American films, it doesn’t get lost in the action hype and takes  time to develop its characters. Next time you doubt  how entertaining a film whose plot revolves  around finance could be, think again. “Erreur de la banque en votre faveur” is a perfect blend of fact and fiction.

Grade: A