Dear America, please continue doing what America does

It doesn’t take much to make America uncomfortable.

Today you have to call illegal immigrants “undocumented workers,” vandalism “art” and I really don’t know how to reference people’s race without offending someone anymore.

However, as offended and upset as some Americans can get, they usually act exactly like a toddler who doesn’t get its way at the grocery store: they throw a heck of a tantrum, but easily get distracted and completely forget about it a second later.

A scandal that used to piss off American sports fans was the steroid scandal in baseball from a couple years ago.

It hasn’t completely gone away, but the hatred has escaped. It seems America has ditched that “I’m boycotting baseball” attitude.

One great sign of this new attitude was the lack of controversy over the hiring of Mark McGwire, who I remind you was never caught, as the Cardinals hitting coach.

Officially welcoming “Big Mac” back into the public eye, which he’s been out of since he spoke to Congress in 2005.

Sports fans and the American public in general continue to amaze me with this short attention span they seem to have.

Whether it is y2k, anthrax, post 9/11 patriotism or the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal, Americans can forget things they are outraged over or gung-ho about very quickly.

Personally I am happy to see Mark McGwire will be known for something other than the steroid scandal.

I think McGwire did steroids, but as I said from day one: Find me one ’90s power hitter who wasn’t on the juice and I’ll name you about 200 off the top of my head who were.

Baseball allowed it, so in my opinion you would have been nuts not to do it.

Furthermore I think McGwire will be a terrible coach; great players rarely are successful in a position where they need to coach the game. Particularly great power hitters when they become hitting coaches.

McGwire was a career .263 hitter-not stellar.

He was a home run threat, arguably one of the greatest of all time, but that is not ideal when you need to coach hitting-which obviously goes further than home runs.

But his success as a coach is not the issue to me.

To me it is good to see him being associated with something other than steroids. As stated earlier, America has the attention span of a 2-year-old and I strongly believe McGwire’s steroid association will quickly be forgotten.

I also think he will be admitted into the Hall of Fame eventually, as he should be. This will happen as long as the stuffy old moron sportswriters who really count on more than they should for their vote on it lighten up and realize that the “steroid era” was more about the time period than a perpetual need to cheat.

I am not condoning steroid use. It is a dangerous practice that is illegal and should absolutely stay that way.

But those ’90s home run hitters did not have much of a choice if they wanted to stay on top of the game.

So, America: Do what you do best: Forget the crap out of the issue. Because much like y2k, anthrax or any other fad that we have been faced with, it is really not as big a deal as it is made out to be.

I want performance-enhancing drugs out of baseball, but I don’t think that the lives of those who used in the past should have their legacies tarnished.

And as for McGwire, I am glad to see him in public again. He was a fantastic player and seems to be a pretty good guy.

Although he will be a terrible coach in my opinion, I’m glad he and baseball are moving on.

You should as well.