News briefs

Local and VCU

Police investigate stabbing in Chesterfield County

A man is being treated at VCU Medical Center with life-threatening injuries as a result of a stabbing Sunday morning in Chesterfield County.

Chesterfield police responded to the 7000 block of Wentworth Street around 4:13 a.m. to investigate a domestic disturbance. Upon arrival, officers found a male victim suffering from a stab wound.

Police continue to investigate the incident, which appears to be domestic-related.

Brief by the Richmond Times-Dispatch

Poll: McDonnell leads Deeds, 48 percent to 40 percent

Republican Bob McDonnell holds a comfortable lead for governor over Democrat Creigh Deeds, lifted by strong support in GOP regions of Virginia and growing appeal among independents, who in recent years have preferred Democrats, a Richmond Times-Dispatch poll shows.

McDonnell is favored by 48 percent and Deeds by 40 percent in the poll conducted Tuesday to Thursday by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc. Twelve percent are undecided.

McDonnell is ahead in the Richmond area as well as the Southwest, the Shenandoah Valley and Southside, three regions where Deeds, a state senator from remote Bath County, hoped to cut into the Republican advantage among rural voters.

Deeds leads in Northern Virginia, anchor of the Democratic Party, and has a statistically insignificant advantage over McDonnell in Hampton Roads, which includes Virginia Beach, McDonnell’s political base before his election as attorney general in 2005.

Brief by the Richmond Times-Dispatch

Richmond council to consider increase in towing fees

The Richmond City Council will consider nearly doubling the rates that towing companies can charge to remove vehicles from private property, even though some operators have been charging more than a city ordinance allows.

The city’s maximum towing fee would be raised to $125 from $65 to match the price allowed under state code, under a proposal, expected to be introduced to the council Monday. The state rate applies if localities don’t cap their own rates.

The city’s Advisory Board for the Assessment of Towing Fees and Storage of Vehicles also is recommending an increase in light of operators’ costs for taxes, equipment, gas and insurance.

The proposal could be offered for a vote as early as Oct. 26. It would allow towing operators to increase the daily storage fee to $35 from $20 after the first 24-hour period and allow a $30 administrative fee for vehicles not picked up within 72 hours.

The proposal would clarify what fees would apply if the owner of a vehicle arrives when it’s already been picked up but is not yet towed. In that situation, a $30 fee to release the vehicle could be charged. The city’s towing rates apply when vehicles are towed from private property in the city, regardless of where the operator is based.

Brief by the Richmond Times-Dispatch

National and International

Gay rights advocates march on DC, divided on Obama

Thousands of gay rights supporters marched Sunday from the White House to the Capitol, demanding President Barack Obama keep his promises to allow gays to serve openly in the military and work to end discrimination against gays.

Rainbow flags and homemade signs dotted the crowds filling Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House as people chanted “Hey, Obama, let mama marry mama” and “We’re out, we’re proud, we won’t back down.” Many children were also among the protesters. A few counter-protesters had also joined the crowd, which stretched several blocks by the afternoon.

Some activists doubted the march would accomplish much. They said the time and money would have been better spent working to persuade voters in Maine and Washington state, where the November ballot will include a measure that would overturn a bill granting same-sex couples many of the benefits of marriage.

A bill introducing same-sex marriage in the nation’s capital was introduced last week by the District of Columbia Council and is expected to pass.

Brief by the Associated Press

Chavez: Nobel peace committee overlooked US wars

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez says President Barack Obama does not deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.

Chavez believes Obama did not make any notable accomplishments to merit winning the prize, saying that rather than promote peace, the U.S. president is continuing the war-like policies of predecessor George W. Bush.

Chavez and Obama had a cordial first encounter at a summit in April, but the Venezuelan leader has become increasingly critical of Obama.

In a Sunday newspaper column, Chavez said the Norwegian Nobel committee “forgot about his determination to continue battles in Iraq and Afghanistan.”

Brief by the Associated Press

US envoy leaves Mideast without peace talks deal

Washington’s special Mideast envoy wrapped up his latest round of shuttle diplomacy in the region on Sunday, again having failed to persuade the Israelis and Palestinians to resume peace talks.

The envoy, George Mitchell, spent more than an hour huddling with Israel’s prime minister and defense minister. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the talks “continued their discussions on moving the peace process forward.”

Two lower-level Israeli officials will head to Washington this week for further discussions, it added. Mitchell did not comment publicly after the meeting and was returning to Washington, U.S. officials said.

Brief by the Associated Press